Call us free on 08000 84 2000

Text "claim" to 83310

Request a call back

How to Claim When an Uninsured or Untraced Driver is Involved

Q) I was involved in a car accident that wasn’t my fault. The other driver turned out to be uninsured, can I still claim?

At Lance Mason Solicitors, we get this question a lot but the simple answer is yes, you can still make a claim for your losses.


The MIB (Motor Insurers Bureau), funded by motorists via their insurance premiums, is a non profit making company that aims to compensate victims of uninsured or untraced drivers. Therefore, if you were involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault with an uninsured driver, or if the other driver involved left the scene of the accident before you could exchange details, you can pursue a claim for compensation through the MIB.

It is important to note that such claims can often be complex and it is crucial that you find the right solicitor to represent you.

Uninsured drivers

Say you were in an accident that wasn’t your fault. You exit your vehicle, exchange names and registration numbers with the other driver and go on your way. When notifying your insurers of the accident you find out that the other driver was uninsured. Many often assume that this is a ‘brick wall’ that there’s no way around but you can still make a claim for personal injury and/or vehicle damage through the MIB.

Your solicitor with explain the process in detail and make sure that you are entirely comfortable before moving forward with your claim.

Untraced drivers

Being involved in a car accident is traumatic enough but when the other driver leaves the scene before exchanging details, it can be extremely frustrating, especially if you weren’t at fault. Speak to a solicitor about making a claim through the MIB and you may find that you can still claim compensation for your injuries and vehicle damage. The police will attempt to trace the other driver on your behalf before any legal proceedings are made.

Some points to remember:

• You have three years to make a claim for personal injury from the date of the accident

• If you cannot identify the other motorist, you must report the accident to the police within 14 days of the accident if you are claiming for a personal injury  and 5 days if claiming for property damage

• Due to necessary investigations, MIB claims generally take slightly longer than ordinary car accident claims. However, if your claim is limited to minor injuries or property damage it should take around 4 or 5 months.

To find out if you can make a claim, speak to Lance Mason Solicitors today on 08000 84 2000. Alternatively, you can submit a quick online enquiry form via our website.


By: Samantha Tomlinson