Call us on 01254 263 885

Text "claim" to 83310

Request a call back

Commercial Litigation

Contact Lance Mason

Compensation Calculator - Find out how much you could receive for your claim

Forfeiture and possession action

Lance Mason can provide practical advice to both tenants and landlords regarding forfeiture and possession action. Our experts aim to reach a resolution that both parties are happy with. The ultimate goal to do this quickly and with as little disruption as possible.

What is forfeiture?

Landlords have the legal right to bring a lease to an end if the tenant violates the terms of the lease agreement. The tenant may not receive any compensation and they will be forced to vacate the property. This is known as forfeiture.

Landlords may be able to use forfeiture when:

  • The tenant is unable to make rent payments or becomes insolvent
  • The tenant has caused serious damage to the property and fails to make the necessary repairs
  • The tenant makes alterations to the property without the consent of the landlord
  • The tenant sub-lets the property without permission

Lance Mason can help

If you are a landlord:

  • We will advise you on your rights and explain if you have grounds to re-possess a property
  • We will draft any legal documentation you need and make sure it is compliant with property legislation
  • We will explain the potential risks of forfeiture; when this is done incorrectly you could become liable to damages claims

If you are a tenant:

  • We will advise you on your rights as a tenant and explain how possible violations of your lease agreement may result in the repossession of your property
  • We will inspect the terms of your lease and assess whether or not you may be vulnerable to forfeiture
  • If you have wrongfully been made to leave your residence, we will help you make a damages claim against your landlord

We can also help mediate the situation. More often than not these matters can be resolved by sitting down and talking about the issues involved. Lance Mason can assist with finding resolutions for all kinds of disputes and we will try to come to an arrangement that both sides are satisfied with.

Contact us today

For free advice or to arrange a no obligation consultation, call Lance Mason today on 08000 84 2000.

We're Social

Law Gazette